Friday, March 20, 2009

Muscle Weakness

Now that I am feeling a bit better and since it is getting much warmer outside I have started trying to do more. Two days ago I did a little work in the yard, worked on the car and did some tree trimming. It exhausted me and I felt the effects of it until today. I also have some sort of a head cold so I am hoping that most of what I am feeling is because of that. I have a doctor’s appointment this morning to see about antibiotics, so hopefully I can get this cleared up quickly.

I have been a very physically strong person my whole life and really come to expect being this way. At times I have been very fit, and others I have been over weight but I have always been strong. I have noticed a clear difference in my muscle strength lately and it constantly surprises me. Things that I use to do with ease I find that I just don’t have the strength for currently, and it is a bit disheartening. I believe that this is a side effect from the Prednisone and should go away as I continue lowering the dosage and do weight lifting.

Something to look forward to.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was on a pretty high dose of prednesone I had trouble standing up from a squat, that really surprised me.

I am only on Plaquenil now and am hoping that will work well enough to stay off prednesone.

Bonnie

Mike said...

Yes, the muscle weakness it so odd. You go to do something that you have always been able to do and suddenly you can barely pull it off. Now that you’re off the Prednisone have you noticed that your strength has returned?

Unknown said...

My strength is definitely better than when I was on the higher doses of prednesone. Since then, on and off, I've been on a every other day pattern and lower doses like 20 mg ever other day. I still had side effects at the 20 mg level though so I'm very glad to be off of it.

Bonnie

Joe said...

Your family is pulling for you Mike!