Friday, March 13, 2009

I had a visit with my doctor again and it went really well. We are continuing to lower the Prednisone and I am now at 10 mg per day down from 12.5 mg. (5 mg at breakfast and 5 mg at dinner) I figure at this rate I should be completely off Prednisone in 5 months. Here is hoping! =)

In talking through my medicine the Doctor was very surprised and almost upset to find out that I haven’t been on Fosamax and Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D. Prednisone reduces your bone density and apparently Fosamax in conjunction with Calcium and Vitamin D help counter that. He gave me a prescriptions for 35 mg of Fosamax which I take once per week, and the 600 mg of the Calcium Citrate with D. I’ll start taking this shortly. (I am really getting a fist full of pills!)

I have noticed some pain in ball of my foot just behind my big toe when I walk any prolonged distances. We’ll have to see if this is related to the bone density. If so hopefully the Fosamax will help.

Last night I took my Prednisone but forgot to take the Plaquenil. I noticed a big difference. I had more pain than usual and once I took the Plaquenil it subsided. The Plaquenil apparently makes more of a significant improvement that I thought. Actually of all the medicine this one is the easiest to take and has no side effects that I can tell.

All in all I am really excited. Again I feel like I am making progress! =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're lucky with the Plaquenil. I've been on it for 5 weeks and the horrible GI symptoms, espcially constant nausea and cramping, are finally starting to pass.

I just found your blog...love it!
~Danielle

Unknown said...

I haven't had stomach problems with the Plaquenil either. I have only been on it one week. I haven't had side effects so far.

I have the type of Sarcoidosis that taking Calcium and Vitamin D would put me in the hospital.

I just found this blog too.

Bonnie

Mike said...

I’m glad to hear you haven’t had any problems as well. After the post from Danielle I began wondering if I were just lucky. Perhaps we both are?

I have been worried about taking Calcium and Vitamin D for exactly the reason you mentioned. So far so good though.

Michael