Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Shakes & Ice Cream

Okay, between the biopsy, the methotrexate and lowering the prednisone all at the same time I really am getting the case of the shakes! I really don’t feel well, but I am keeping going hopeful that this will pass soon. I just need to give my body time to adjust for healing and the new steroid levels in my blood. It’s a lot to tackle all at once for my body I think. I especially wonder if the methotrexate is slowing down the healing process seeing as it interferes with fast cell division.

Also, I have noticed ice cream appears to increase the likelihood of me getting cramps in my feet and legs. Doah! If I stay away from it I appear to do well, but when I have some, especially at night, I usually end up paying for it.

I am just stoked to be taking such little prednisone pills! Can’t wait until I take NONE! =)

Still moving forward!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad has been dealing with Sarcoidosis for a year. He has over 50 granulomas in his lungs & his bone marrow is producing them as well. He is on both methotrexate & prednisone. Twice Dr's have tried to bring his pednisone down from 50mg day but he becomes desperately ill once it gets to 20mg a day. Does any one know of an "alternate" therapy?

Mike said...

Anonymous,

(Note I posted this on 8-11-2010)

I remember those high prednisone & methotrexate days! (Yuck!) The Prednisone made me really hungry, on edge and blunt and the methotrexate made me feel like I got ran over by a truck! Those medicines are difficult to take. I feel for your dad!

You asked for alternatives… Yes there are other medications and I am currently on them and having a lot of success. My blog contains all the information on the different medicines I have been taking. Currently the primary medications are Plaquinel, Imuran and 5 mgs of Prednisone as well as an anti-inflammatory. I don’t know that these exact drugs will work for your dad, but the one thing I have learned through this experience is that there are effective alternatives. If your dad is really struggling with his current medication I strongly recommend looking at alternatives. They really worked for me and made life…. Well… “life” again.

My best wishes for your dad. Please let us know how it turns out for him.

Michael