Sunday, January 4, 2009

Prednisone, Leg Cramps and Weight… going… going…



My Doctor has been having me lower my Prednisone dosage over the past few weeks. I have been at 40 mg which has been very hard on me. I have really struggled with the side effects including weight gain, strong changes in my mood and aggravation levels, etc etc (see previous posts), so I was very excited to cut down. I have been really worried that the same thing that happened last time might happen again, eg. The pain came back and I had to up the dose again, but so far so good… no GREAT! I cut down to 30 mg and there was some pain, but it subsided and everything seemed to be good, despite the fact I got a cold at the same time. I am now down to 20 mg and again after a short adjustment period things appear to be going well.

I am VERY hopeful that we can keep on this path! Getting off the Prednisone is important to me, I really can’t stand the stuff and what it does to me. I have already noticed a big difference in my thinking, my patience levels and my aggravation levels have gone way down. It’s almost like sitting in a large hot tub and feeling yourself relax. Ahhhh!

The foot and leg cramps have subsided, although I don’t know for sure the reason. I could guess that it is because I am lowering my Prednisone, or that I am eating potassium (Bananas etc.), or because I am making sure I keep my legs and feet warmer at night. Whatever the reason I’m grateful for it. I can still feel them on the edge of cramping if that makes sense, but if I quickly stretch them out there isn’t a problem. Good improvement anyway.

I am completely feed up with the weight gain and fat redistribution that the Prednisone causes. I have been casually fighting it up to this point but just finding the energy to get up and go to work, being a dad of 6, a husband who matters, a scout master and just a human being who doesn’t snap at everyone has consumed most of my mental capacities up till now. At the beginning of last year I started at 285 LBS and started exercising and eating better. I got down to 240 LBS (45 LBS!) and was feeling great still moving forward when I got sarcoidosis and started the Prednisone. My weight has slowly climbed due to reduce activity, continual hunger, bad eating habits, etc, until I reached 265 LBS! My cloths aren’t fitting well, as you can imagine, and I am not feeling well with all this extra weight. I’ve had it, and am feeling well enough to get serious about this so I have started back on my original eating / exercise program. I’ve got to be careful to not over do it on the exercise especially as I am cutting down on the Prednisone, but so far so good. I have lost 5 LBS and am at 260 LBS right now.

If all goes well, and if I can stay on this path then I think I’ll be in a good place in not tool long!

Again, I am cautiously optimistic. =) Wish me luck!

1 comment:

joan5145@aol.com said...

Hi Mike. I am in the same boat as you and I do not like it either. I started with 60mg this past April and I am at 10mg now and I want to get off this drug. The cramps and pain in my legs and hands is outrageous. I have gained a lot of weight from 128 to 175 and my body is not used to such weight. My vision is blurred most of the time. This is scary stuff. I started walking and had to stop because of severe pains in the legs. I know that I have to do something to loose this weight and manage my appetite. I have already cut back on my eating habits. My mother and brother had this disease and both became diabetic from prolong use of the predisone. I am not going to let that happen to me. I am hoping to get off on my next doctor's visit. I refuse to purchase new clothes I cannot afford it. I have a few large clothes to hide this outrageous fat. My face is like a moon and people that know me, when they see me now they are referring to my weight and I just ignore them because I know the cause, they probably think I sit at home and stuff myself. I have to change my habits and incorporate a proper diet and exercise and hopefully it will work.
Thanks for writing your post I know that I am not the only one out there with this problem.
Joan