Monday, December 22, 2008

Sudden & Painful Leg & Foot Craps

Holy moley it has gotten bad lately. Especially at night or first thing in the morning. I have been doing a little surfing on the internet to see if any of the drugs I am taking have this side effect, and as far as I can tell they really don't.

They come on extremely fast and hurt like crazy. The only thing that I can see that appears to help is keeping my legs and feet warm, but this doesn't stop them all together. I just now shot out of bed in pain from my calf constricting as tight as a solid stone and it took me about a minute to get it under control. The whole while it hurt like someone is stabbing you with a knife. Crazy stuff.

I'm going to try stretching more and perhaps some more walking. That does seem to help a bit. One thing is for shore, this seems to bet getting more prevalent, or is happening more often. I've got to call the doc tomorrow because one of my prescriptions is running out so I'll talk to him and see what he says.

It's hard to know if the leg and foot cramps are coming from the Sarcoidosis, the medicine, the overweight effects of the Prednisone, disturbed sleep, eating habits, early warnings of diabetes, or just some other strange thing. I've got to see if I can pin it down though because it does seem to be progressing.

On the lighter side, my wife is teasing me that perhaps I'm not suffering from Sarcoidosis, but male onset PMS! What with cramps, weight gain, water retention, mood swings, etc. He He! =) Well, if that's the case, let's just hope I don't get pregnant! =)

More info on leg cramps:
Mayo Clinic

4 comments:

DRojo said...

This has happened to me before in fact I forgot about it till you mention it. Hope it goes away

judy said...

good to find a fellow sarcoid blogger! I have not experienced the foot cramps, but do have two huge lesions on my feet which make it hard to tie my running shoes....yes I run with sarcoid cuz I can and it helps my pain. I'll be following you, check me out
Judy
ranrunrunning.com

Mike said...

Wow Judy, love your Blog! What a great looking family! I am constantly amazed by people who run with Sarcoid, especially in the winter. Your amazing!

Mike said...

Just a quick update on the leg cramps. I talked with a doctor and it turns out that pickle juice can really help. They don't know why yet but he has seen it help a number of people he has been treating.

Leave me a post if you find that it works for you.

Michael