Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sometimes you have to go down to go up

Well… the effects of the Imuran finally ran out, and while I was on a business trip too. My leg began swelling and getting really stiff. The red lumps (for lack of a better term) began migrating toward my ankle. I was very concerned that the inflammation would again impact my joint and I would lose the ability to walk freely. If this were to happen I would have to go on a high dose of Prednisone with all of the strong side effects. The timing for this couldn’t be worse. Things are changing at work and I am applying for a position. I certainly couldn’t afford to be dealing with “Prednisone Rage” during this process.

I went and saw the doctor when I get back from the trip and explained the situation. He talked over the situation with me and then switched out my 5 mgs Prednisone with 4 mgs Methylprednisolone. He gave me a shot for a boost to get the swelling under control and told me to get some compression socks.

It has been two weeks since the change and I am in better condition now than I have ever been since the Sarcoid started! The medication appears to be working very well, and the compression socks appear to be doing the trick. I have been eating better and have lost about 15 lbs and feel really good. I have to wait and see if the shot is still in my system, but I don’t think so. If this keeps up I might even be able to kick this thing before too long. Needless to say I am very excited.

Here’s looking to the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed your blog. I have had sarcoidosis for 2 years and am really having a tough time with it. I am currently taking 40 mg of prednisone and 100 of imuran. I feel the steroids are killing me with their side effects. The mood swings and weight gain are a killer!!! I try to stay motivated but it is hard sometimes when it takes everything you have to drag yourself out of bed. I just want to say how much I appreciate your encouraging attitude and your sharing. I am hoping that I will be able to start decreasing prednisone soon. Happy holidays and many blessings.
Julia

Mike said...

Julia,

I sure know what you mean about the frustration with the steroids. I remember looking in the mirror and just being sick with all the weight I gained. The Prednisone rage seemed to sneak up on me and pounce like a lion. Not to mention the constant food cravings! I remember wondering if this was ever going to change… but it does. Just hang in there and keep fighting, and remember the weight does come off! YEAH!

Oh, and thank you for your comments on my blog! Your kind words really made me smile. =)

Michael