Sunday, April 19, 2009

The broken glass is back!

Doah! I’m feeling the pain in my ankles and knees again. The side effects from the Methotrexate have been so bad that I have finally come off it, and today was an AWESOME day! Normally the Methotrexate just wrecks me for two days and feel terrible, but apparently it did a lot in helping the pain from the Sarcoidosis. I would have normally taken the Methotrexate on Saturday night, but this is the first week I haven’t and I am really feeling the Sarcoid pain. It is such a mixed bag. It’s like you get to pick your pain… Isn’t there a “No Pain” option? Doah!

The hope I am holding on to is that I am in an in-between spot with the medicines. I have been lowing the dose for Methotrexate for a while to where it was barely helping and now I am off of it. My new medicine hasn’t ramped up yet and needs some time to take effect. I am really hoping that the Imuran will give me the benefit of the Methotrexate without the side effects.

I am starting to see two possible outcomes here. The one I am hoping for is that the medication will put the Sarcoid into remission and I will be able to get back to “normal” life. The second is that I will need to choose between the effects of Sarcoid and the side effects of these drugs. If it ends up being the second I don’t know which options I’ll pick. Whether I choose medicine or just to deal with the illness I will be facing long term negative impacts on my health. I’m not sure which I will choose, but I am leaning to just dealing with Sarcoid and taking IB. The prednisone not only makes me fat, but messes with my mind and the Methotrexate knocks me down like crazy. I think at this point I would almost rather deal with the pain. Hard to say… I hope I don’t have to make the decision in the end.

For now I’m just going to wait and see if the Imuran helps and what side effects it ends up having. I have to give it a chance to start kicking in and build up in my body.

Guess we will see. =)

Michael

Ps. I hope that this pain is mainly because of the amount of work I did yesterday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In reference to the broken glass, is that a feeling like you are walking on broken glass? I've been sick since 1994, but wasn't correctly diagnosed until June 2006. After getting off months of high-dose steroids I developed the "walking on broken glass" problem and have been one high dose pain killers ever since.

Mike said...

Hi Ahypothetical,

I’m sorry to hear about your pain! One of the hardest things to deal with is constant pain that just won’t go away.

When I say broken glass I mean in my ankles, not on the bottom of my foot. I’m not sure if this is the same as what you are feeling, but when ever my medicine runs low it feels like someone has taken the tiny glass pieces from a broken car windshield and inserted it into my ankles.