Sunday, October 5, 2008

Maniac!



I found something funny today. While I was looking up the side effects of prednisone I found a good description of what I feel… Rapid speech, racing thoughts, decreased need for sleep, impulsiveness, and increased interest in goal-directed activities, among other things. Turns out that these are classic symptoms of mania! =) HA! So when I’m feeling out of it, I am actually acting like a maniac! Ha Ha!

Well the antibiotics have kicked down what apparently is strep, and with that the pain in my ankles has gone away. I’ll have to keep an eye on things when I get sick because it appears to kick the symptoms of my sarcoidosis into high gear. Good info to know and watch for.

The other thing that I have found is that the combination of antibiotics, IB and prednisone seam to exaggerate the “Wired” feelings of the prednisone. I’ll have to watch this and do some more troubles shooting to see if I can even this out. It’s all about getting in the right rhythms until I can stop taking this stuff.

I was thinking today… the only reason we stay alive is because our bodies keep rebuilding themselves. I get a cut and my body re-grows. I cut my hair and it grows back… well at least in some places. =) Just the normal use of my hands rubs skin off. If it wasn’t continuously growing it would just ware off and be gone. In this same way we have to keep pushing and improving or lives or they may just ware away. It’s tempting to say “I’ll just wait until I can get off of this medicine and then I get back into the swing of things.” It’s easy to give myself this somewhat justifiable excuses, but there is another way. Like my body I can push back. I can… Not be satisfied with my weight gain, I can be tired in the morning, but refuse to sleep in, I can fight and refuse what comes natural. I really think that it is worth the fight, not that everything will work out ideal, but it will certainly turn out better than if I don’t do anything at all.

Speaking of that I have gained 10 lbs and I think it is all sitting on my face. =) The medicine does this, but I am hopeful that I can counteract this if I really focus hard on it. So I’m committed to work at it. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Stay tuned. I would love some comments from others on this.

As far as the sleep goes I think my approach is going to be not sleeping when I just am not tired, but realizing that this will catch up with me in about three days. I’ll need to be aware of this and then actually plan for extra time to crash after work. I’ve talked with my wife on this and she is extremely supportive. (What a great woman!) We’re going to give this a shot this week and see how it goes.

The one thing that I have really been grateful for is a great sense of support not only from family and friends but from God. I know that God is aware of what is going on and is active in helping me and my family. Prayer in particular has really helped out. It has been a source of great strength for me and I really feel that I am not alone in this.

Hope all is well for everyone. Hang in there and keep pushing. =)

Michael

No comments: